You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Remember that happiness is a way of travel - not a destination. Roy M. Goodman

east coast
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> About FOTR ForumMessage format

ninabika
Posted 2012-02-12 4:39 PM (#7340)
Subject: east coast

Hello,
We are a family of 6 who has the opportunity to hit the road for 3 months in the fall. We would love to RV down the east coast from Maine to Florida. Thinking this would be an awesome history and ocean study trip! However, having not done this trip, I am wondering how the RVing works on narrow, east coast roads and if we can actually get to Boston, Philadelphia and NY. Anyone done this? Also, we would love to not have to pull a vehicle. Others families of 6...what are you in? Travel trailer...class C...5th wheel? Thanks in advance for all the input!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pdemichiel
Posted 2012-02-16 2:24 PM (#7343 - in reply to #7340)
Subject: Re: east coast

How exciting. We travel in a 33 1/2" 5th wheel and have been to many cities on the East Coast. I have taken my rig into Boston and Philly with little trouble but if you can stay outside and just drive in all the better. Hope your Fall adventure comes together and you and your family have fun.
ninabika
Posted 2012-02-17 7:28 PM (#7344 - in reply to #7343)

Thanks for responding! Any secret spots that you would say not to miss? Would you hit Boston, Philly, New York and Williamsburg?
Collierx6
Posted 2012-02-22 8:10 AM (#7347 - in reply to #7340)

I have looked into it, but I would definately park your rig "out of town" and use your toad to get around in places that are built long ago. While near Boston, look into the Braintree area. (As a relative of the Adams lineage, I always suggest seeing the graves and homes of the 2nd and 6th president!) The Sam Adams pub still exists, and his grave.

Don't forget Charlestown SC. Fort Sumter, and up the coast where the "HUNLEY" is located. Inland a little bit is Darlington, and a cool Nascar museum, and my alltime favorite place, Camden, where many scened from the movie the Patriot was filmed. And there are some wonderful jewels in NC too! LOTS AND LOTS of significant historical events on the East Coast. I could spend ~way~ too much time out there!!!!
Seangie
Posted 2012-08-25 10:40 AM (#7613 - in reply to #7340)
Subject: RE: east coast

Ninabika,

Hope you are still all gearing up for your trip.

I was born and raised in Boston - Here are some pointers -
Park outside the city. You can find some campgrounds within an hours drive into the city. It's better to stay outside the city than get stuck trying to find your way around and trying to pay for parking.

Public transportation in Boston rocks. You can get a Boston Transit Subway train (The T is what it is called)anywhere within a 30 minute drive to the city and its much quicker than sitting on the highway in traffic. Most of the amtrack trains that are within 30-2hr drive of the city have parking where you can park your car (or class C RV in some) and get on a train to south station and from there hit any point in the city by subway.

Another great & entertaining way to get around Boston is to go on a duck boat tour or trolley tour. There are a couple different ones to get on. It is about 20 per person but you can get on and off the tour all day and if you are tired or have little ones that want to sleep you can sit on the tour for 30-40 minutes and listen to the driver give a historical about boston while you ride around. If you don't like one driver or want different history you just get off and get on the next trolley or duck that comes buy.

We have done the Boston to Florida trip many times and it is really a treat. We discover new fun places everytime we go. Hope you all have a great trip.

-Sean
www.herdofturtles.org

alden65
Posted 2012-11-28 7:05 AM (#7651 - in reply to #7340)

Travel with a RV you will have a lot of issues seeing the town facilities. There really aren't nay locations to recreation area one in easy arrive at of the significant locations - you will need to stay at least some hours or more away and then take riding on the bus to or fro - spending a lot of money.

Edited by alden65 2012-11-28 7:07 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software