Families On The Road (FOTR) are families who are choosing not to wait until our kids are grown to hit the road in a Recreational Vehicle. We are living our dreams, exploring the highways and byways of America and beyond with our kids. We are here to educate, inspire and support all families who choose this lifestyle.
FOTR Top Sites and Blogs
Science4us.com, is a complete K-2 curriculum for use in any brick and mortar schools, virtual schools, families, home schools, and homeschool co-ops that are interested in engaging their students in inquiry-based science.
La Gran Vista, located just outside San Isidro de General in South Pacific Costa Rica, is an Environmental Conservation Project where students, volunteers, and visitors can learn how a tropical organic farm functions.
Top 10 Ski Campgrounds Get out and enjoy some fresh powder this winter season.
Welcome to FOTR:
The following families are new to the site. Visit their blogs and help us welcome them.
- The Hobos with Kobos Family We hit the road in a double cab Tundra hauling a 30 foot trailer July 2013 for a one year adventure through Canada and the USA. Mom and Dad, two preteen girls, with God and The Weather Network as our guide.
- The Bailey Family We're a family of four with two school-aged girls. We've decided to RV full time and home school our girls. There is so much to see that who knows how long we will live on the road. We'll see which way the wind blows.
- The Lanning-Haas Family We are a family of 4, two parents, two kids and two dogs living in a 37ft. 5th Wheel, exploring the world.
- The Marsh Family Our family decided to be radical, live different and hit the road RVing full time. Our house is under contract, we're downsizing our lives, leaving the "stuff" that doesn't matter behind and are focusing on what really matters... experiencing life as a family!
- The Bender Family We left Australia in May 2012 with a 2 & 3 year old and have been travelling ever since. SE Asia, USA, Central America, Middle East, Europe... and more to come!
- The Modern Mongolian Family Mother, Father, Son living in a fifth wheel doing travel nursing for 2-3 years or more with the objective of paying off our house in three years.
- The Growing Rootless Family Pete is an author and speaker, Gina is a hoop dance teacher. We are traveling full time in our TT with 4 kids, a Bullmastiff and a Chihuahua. We are pursuing our passions, chasing our dreams & finding home in our hearts.
- The Wilgus Family A young full-time RV'ing family with twin preschoolers. Fresh out of the military and seeking a simpler and more manageable life, a closer relationship with God, our family, and conquering our debt!
- The Moreau-Cook Family We are a family of 4 with two children 2 & 4 living in a RV, travelling the US for a year. Before we settle down and buy that house, we wanted to get out and explore the country and simplify our life for a year.
- The Burkett Family We are a family of 4 living in our converted school bus, traveling the country for a year to experience life and each other. Each day has new insights into what we are all about and enjoying the challenge!
FOTR News Briefs
- Becoming BareNaked is a new book written by fellow FOTR Jenn White. She recounts from her personal journals over the last twelve years of her family's very unconventional upbringing. Known as BareNakedFamily, (thanks to their wee bit of a popular blog), she decribes living life differently.
Jenn writes "In 2001, we ditched our six figure corporate career, sold three houses, cars, stuff, walked away from a million dollar stock option, 401K's, and a psycho cat ~ we pulled the kids out of school, bought an RV, and hit the road escaping the very real and destructive American Dream we had bought into and worked insanely hard to achieve."
Please support her and her family by purchasing a copy of "Becoming BareNaked" at their website.
- We are currently casting a new TV series for a Major Cable Network, looking for groups of enterprising friends and families who are considering moving and ready to ditch the "Rat Race" and get back to the simple life.
This is for a new prime time documentary television show and we are especially interested in strong, smart women who are leading their families on this new and exciting journey!
Please email your name, contact information, photos and a breif description of your story to: BIGDREAMCASTING@GMAIL.COM
Pursuing an education while traveling provides some unique opportunities and challenges. The roadschooling section provides tips, links, resources and advice about homeschooling on the road.
Homeschooling is really hard. Not only do you take on two of the hardest jobs in the world (being a mother and a teacher), but you find the time and energy to share your stories online. In case you haven't heard of us, Grammarly is an automated online proofreader that points out and explains those pesky grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes that are bound to find their way into children's writing assignments. While we appreciate the trust our 3 million users put in us, we're even more satisfied by the daily thanks we get from parents who have used Grammarly to help homeschool their kids.
Explore things to do and find nationwide passes and discounts to museums, zoos, national parks and more.
The RV Lifestyle
Are you considering hitting the road? Want to learn more about living in a motorhome fulltime? If you are new to the idea of living on the road the lifestyle section is where you will learn about downsizing and job options for families on the go. Find information about budget, insurance and safety issues. Learn about technology that makes your mobile life a breeze. Plus answers to questions about how to stay in shape, take books along, get mail, take pets and more.
You will find books and movies recommended by families who are on the road in the resource portion of the FOTR site. Tips on how to buy an RV for family living, general information about RVs, travel, automotive history and links to articles.
Utilizing FOTR's travel tips and insurance information can help save you a lot of money. If you are in a tough credit situation and are in need of a vehicle make sure to check out buy here pay here from Cactus Jack's. It is a great way to rebuild your credit and start enjoying the finer things in life.
"I think poor is more a state of mind than a state of finance. We are amazed at how little we actually need, and how much more happy we are now that we don't have to keep up with the Joneses. When you really start thinking about what is essential, you realize that it's only a handful of things, don't you? And there's no need to have all that wasted space in a big house. And when you're not stressed out trying to work for all the "toys", life becomes a joyful discovery of all the things we missed along the way."
~Vickie Swindling (FOTR since 2006)