You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million.

Reno Pics .... Goal to make RV feel like a house
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Home on Wheels -> Making the RV HomeMessage format

NeedABreak
Posted 2010-11-30 12:20 AM (#5497)
Subject: Reno Pics .... Goal to make RV feel like a house

It's been a while since I've been on this site, telling about our brandnew 5th Wheel we bought on salvage after it was in a tornado ... flipped on it's side and the back end wall flown over a mile from the the dealers lot! Thank-fully for us, the tow driver hired by the salvage yard to go pick it up happened to drive past the farmer's field where our back wall of our 5th Wheel had landed.

After some intervention from the Lord of course, and some humbling negotiations on what we could afford to pay for the RV, it was ours. We then set on a 2 months renovation project, that felt more like 6 months somehow. I'd post the before pics .... but am afraid I am already stepping over my aloud boundaries in posting these pics.

Some of you might have remembered me talking about my fake rock wall .... well here it is! Hope you enjoy!

We then emarked on our VERY SLOW 5 day journey from Northern Michigan across I-80 and many States, to Boise, Idaho. Where we have been parked for a month and just welcomed our fourth child into the world on November 23rd. A healthy 7 lb 1 oz. baby boy we named Liam Tate. He is such an angel!!!

Where the Lord will lead from here we do not know, nor dare to question .... with open hearts we look ahead, willing and waiting for HIS guidance. What blessings He surely has in store ... for my future has never felt brighter, and my hopes more alive.

Edited by NeedABreak 2010-11-30 12:42 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
zeffner
Posted 2010-11-30 10:18 PM (#5501 - in reply to #5497)
Subject: Re: Reno Pics .... Goal to make RV feel like a house

wow .......... u want some roommates lol....... looks very nice , i never saw the before pictures but i love the way it look nows ...
blessdx11
Posted 2010-11-30 10:37 PM (#5507 - in reply to #5501)

What a wonderful home Meaghan!!!
Thanks for sharing the pics - what fun mods you have done!!!
To be honest, I have never seen an rv that was painted (inside) that made me want to paint mine. Until I saw yours!
I LOVE your white cupboards!

Congrats on your newest blessing Liam! Isn't the Lord good?!?
dana
margielundy
Posted 2010-11-30 10:42 PM (#5508 - in reply to #5497)

Beautiful! Yep, I want to paint more than ever now! And yeah, I want a slide too! We have a ladder that goes up the hatch to the kids' treehouse loft, but I'm thinking a slide would be so much more fun. Great job!
NeedABreak
Posted 2010-12-01 12:26 PM (#5514 - in reply to #5497)

Ohhh ... so glad you guys like it!!!! It was all that dark wood that comes in RV's these days, and I just couldn't live with it. So although it was all brandnew, I still took a paint roller to it ... LOL ... The trick is high gloss paint, which takes a few more coats than you really want to do ... but the results are SO WORTH IT!!! Then, I had painted my house the blue color ... and just LOVE this blue/green and since I had some left over from the house, I painted it in the 5th Wheel. We've now been living in here since about September sometime and not once have I thought, "this feels like a trailer". So all the hard work was worth it.

And somehow, what we ripped out from the original build must have weighed more than all our renovations AND our belongings .... when we stopped to weigh ourselves, we were LESS than the dry weight listed on the trailer ... lol ...

Here's a couple "before" pics for the curious:

Edited by NeedABreak 2010-12-01 12:56 PM
NeedABreak
Posted 2010-12-01 1:02 PM (#5515 - in reply to #5497)

Here's a couple "before" pics for the curious:

Edited by NeedABreak 2010-12-01 1:05 PM
oneeyesquare
Posted 2010-12-01 8:11 PM (#5519 - in reply to #5497)

Guy questions!

Is that a doghouse "addition" off the back?
I see lots of loose stuff (wall plywood, moldings, etc.) in the before pictures, how much structural repair did it require?
It's huge!! How many feet? It makes our 40' Chapparal look small...

Congrats on the new home!
NeedABreak
Posted 2010-12-02 10:57 AM (#5524 - in reply to #5497)

LOL ... everyone keeps calling it the doghouse, but it's really just a little extra space in the kids room. You can see the inside of it behind the slide. The attention that little house got at gas stations as we crossed the country was priceless .... LOL ... We'd pull over to get a quick fill-up, and my husband would inevitably be asked by someone who was admiring the rig if that house was for our dogs ... He'd have to tell them the whole story. So it always felt like we were at gas stations for an hour ... LOL ...

The real story, is the back panel was really damaged along the bottom from the tornado. So it was either fix the fiberglass or get creative. We then just happened to go to an Art Show where a wood carver had built a little cabin in the back bed of his truck. The artist in my husband got all inspired, and he wanted to build a little cabin for the kids. Plus we thought we needed a little extra storage space, and that would solve both problems. We since discovered that we were AMAZING at downsizing our belongings, and actually have empty cupboards ... go figure!

We bought this RV because the damages were things we could fix ourselves. It has a clean title ... which in the RV world, means the trailer and exterior framing passed inspection and did not need repairing. What was damged was the back fiberglass panel being completely ripped off. The wardrobe in the kids room on the other side of that panel was all busted up .... and so we just pulled the whole thing out and put the slide there. Then most of the cupboards were off some of the studs ... which we thought would take forever to repair .... but my husband had all those fixed within a week of having the RV in our backyard.

The washer and dryer had fallen out when it was tipped, and pushed the bathroom wall right out .... but again, that seemed like it just came together real easy. There was a lot of paneling strips that had buckled off, but were a simple tacking back. The master bedroom closet doors were mirrors and were all busted up ... so we just took the whole system out, made our room much bigger and put my office in the corner of the closet. The master bedroom slide needed some attention, but it would have without the tornado anyway. They manufactured it with only two small bolts holding the motor to the floor .... those ripped out and so when you went to open the slide the motor would just run back and forth on the tracks .... lol ... The converter and generator were sliced out from theives, so we had to replace the converter. Don't have the funds yet for the inverter we would like though. So over-all, we really lucked out to find this RV so close to home ... and in just enough dis-repair that they had no other interested buyers than us. It did take 2 months of renovation commitment and about $3000 over-all to get it on the road .... but we own in free of debt, and have gotten back to it's original value .... So we feel anyway ... lol ...

It's technically 42' .... but it's true measurement is 48' from front to back .... of course, that doesn't include our "doghouse" ... lol ...

It is the largest 5th Wheel we've ever seen in person, but the guy that towed it to our house for us told us he had hauled out a longer one with 6 slides once. I would love to tour through something that size one day!

raw
Posted 2010-12-03 1:55 PM (#5536 - in reply to #5524)

WOW! Love the pics! LOVE the size and what you have done with your home! Hope to follow in your footsteps one day!
The Pollicks
Posted 2011-02-13 7:42 AM (#6009 - in reply to #5497)

Absolutely amazing! Congratulations on the arrival of the newest member of your family!
The Pollicks
Posted 2011-02-14 6:05 AM (#6030 - in reply to #5497)

I was wondering if there was any damage to the slider? We are looking at a 40 foot pull behind but my husband is concerned if the slider is damaged will it be worth fixing. You did an amazing job and definetly turned this into a traveling home. Thanks, Tina
http://pollickfamily.blogspot.com
greenacresmama
Posted 2011-02-14 12:25 PM (#6038 - in reply to #5497)

Your home rocks! What a wonderful place to live! It is so cute and charming! I love every bit of it! And so awesome you have a new baby! It looks so much like that a baby belongs there! So cute... drooling tons! Congratulations!
NeedABreak
Posted 2011-02-24 6:04 PM (#6122 - in reply to #5497)

Thanx so much *greenacresmama! It's so fun to have other people appreciate all our hard work.

To the Pollicks, we have 5 slides, three worked perfectly. The one with the fridge and stove in it is slightly bent and leans a little, but is comes in and out just fine. So we didn't bother to fix it. The Master Bed slide was the headache. When we bought it, it actually wouldn't slide out at all, but you could hear the motor working .... so we took the risk that we could fix it. When we got it home, just some heavy reefing on it got the gears to engage and it opened. But a few months later, after all our renovations it was time to leave .... and litterally at 11pm the night before our departure we could not get the slide to move in. So .... a lot of tears later, we took out all the storage in the bed, cut through the plywood bottom so we could see the motor and gears, and to our amazement .... the motor was completely unscrewed from the floor. It was working , but would just ride the gears back and forth. Getting it all screwed down and everything perfectly aligned 90 degree angles to each other ... it finally would come ALMOST all the way in ... it stuck out about 3 inches. This was good enough to not be held up over and we pulled out at 8am. It made it clear across the country just fine. Since we've been sitting, my husband got back in the and re-screwed it in a better place so that it will completely close now. I guess you would have to be handy with this kinda issue, but it wasn't a real big deal because we were.
NeedABreak
Posted 2012-07-11 1:41 AM (#7537 - in reply to #5497)

UPDATE! .... 2012/July/11 .... We have blissfully been travelling for about 2 yrs. now ... It's been a wirlwind ... and so I have never had time to keep posting. I thought this might be odd, so I looked through posts and found a common denominator ... Your desperate to get on the road. Once you do, you tend to forget to look backward. In our case .... we left Michigan FINALLY when I was 8 months pregnant ... we reached Boise, ID, had our 4th child ... and then LIVED .... for what felt like the first time in ETERNITY to me ... lol ... We've since gone back East to Michigan, Ontario.CAN., south through Ohio, Misssouri, Texas, New Mexico ..... WALLLLLL .... Thinking it was smart to go the southern route back to Idaho ... we drove right into the ONLY blizzard in the ENTIRE US last Novemeber ... Stoppped us cold in NM .... So we re-thought I goals in life .... "WHY are we stranded in Albaquerque?" Then we KNEW!!!! For 30 YRS I have had some good friends living in Beaumont, TX ... but I've never been able to afford to come and visit them. We couldn'y go West ... even Arizona was under a Snow Storm advisory .... So, Hey ... lets go see our friends on the Gulf Coast of Texas .... lol ... We have now been here here since spring, found out we were expecting our 5th child ... HAD the fifth child ... A GORGEOUS BABY BOY! .... So with 5 kids, 3 baby boys on the end ... We have decided to sell our LOVED 5th wheel and settle in Texas. Which were quite proud of! ... lol ... It's still as gorgeous as the earlier posts in this message line .... and we have LOVED ever minute!!! It's Nava.COM value is suggested at $56,000 ..... but we would be happy to sell it quick for $48,000. It feels like a smalle house on wheels ... and no matter what state we find ourselves in, we hear non-stop "this is the COOLEST RV EVER!!!" ... lol ... Give my husband Jesse a call, he'll fill you in on all the perks. 231-709-1784.
raw
Posted 2012-07-27 10:09 AM (#7586 - in reply to #5497)

Wow! Beautiful home! a dream home on wheels if you ask me!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software