You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. Emerson

Tankless Water Heater?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Home on Wheels -> MechanicalMessage format

cmhbob
Posted 2010-10-13 7:33 PM (#5171)
Subject: Tankless Water Heater?

Anyone make this modification yet? With 9 of us, I know that 10 gallons will go quickly, and waiting half an hour between showers will get old. We had long considered it in the stick house (only 40 gallon there), but never got the proper tuit.

While randomly browsing Overstock.com, I found an Eccotemp L5 Outdoor Portable Tankless Water Heater for $120, which claims to work well with 12v pump systems. Further research located the RV-500 Tankless Hot Water Heater. Yes, the latter is $1,000, which I'd rather not spend (!). $120 is much closer to what I'd like to do! But just for proof-of-concept information, is anyone doing this yet, or has anyone else done the research on it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
joyfull
Posted 2010-10-14 8:41 AM (#5173 - in reply to #5171)
Subject: Re: Tankless Water Heater?

We haven't done it, but it seems like a great idea. When we stay in campgrounds, we use their showers mostly (at least the kids do), but when we are boondocking or staying on a friends property it does get tricky to shower 5 of us, so I can hardly imagine 9. We can usually get 2.5 showers if we do it military style and I don't forget and start doing dishes at the same time, but that's no fun in the winter. The heater doesn't seem to warm our bathroom very much and we seem to have less hot water when it's cold outside.

Good luck and keep us posted. I would love to know if the cheap on works. Overstock is not good about returns - so keep that in mind... but $120 would be worth the gamble to me :-)
jakesmome
Posted 2010-10-18 6:48 AM (#5215 - in reply to #5171)

I'd love to hear the results, too!
igel9
Posted 2010-10-26 9:52 PM (#5270 - in reply to #5171)

We have a 12gal elect water heater that keeps up with the demand for showers- but we installed a 1.5 gpm showerhead and everyone is is disciplined about military style showers- water to rinse only, not running when soaping up. We're doing OK with 2 adults, 3 teens that shower everyday. (I think the key is that low flow head ($8 @ Home Depot)). Also, the water heater stays warm enough that the first one up gets a warm shower even after the water heater being off all night... We have toyed with the thought of the LP heater for outside showers, but are finding that when we need outdoor showers, the water is just right anyways.
cmhbob
Posted 2011-01-05 2:46 PM (#5745 - in reply to #5171)

Wanted to update this thread. I found the <a href="http://greenrvproducts.com/girard-tankless-rv-water-heater/">Girard Products’ GSWH-1 Tankless Water Heater</a>, which is supposed to be a drop-in replacement in some models. The Girard website links to the Forest River Wildcat too, suggesting that it's an option, but there's nothing of note on the FR website.

RV Wholesalers says it won't work. I'm calling Girard today, and may try to contact FR directly.
Flypsy
Posted 2011-04-30 5:50 PM (#6559 - in reply to #5171)

Did anyone ever get this? How'd it work out?
taetae
Posted 2011-07-02 9:21 PM (#6767 - in reply to #5171)

I've never actually used a tankless but from what I heard, the only drawback is you have to run the water to heat it up and that can take 5 or 10 minutes. That's an awful lot of water to be putting down the drain, especially if your boondocking.
McDonald
Posted 2012-03-06 3:30 PM (#7375 - in reply to #5171)

Just installed a Garrard Tankless Hot water Heater with winter use device. Install was fairly straight forward and works great. I get over 120 degree water out of it. Total cost was $660 and then I sold my water heater on Craigslist for $350. Well worth it to me.
5onWheels
Posted 2012-03-09 5:44 AM (#7378 - in reply to #6767)

Hi,
I have not used it in a RV yet, but at home. The water waste is right now only the water in the lines in-between the unit and the fossit.
Maybe Mcdonald can share their experience about this concern.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software