You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain

From Ground Zero
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> IntroductionsMessage format

MazzaFamily
Posted 2016-03-16 8:43 AM (#7821)
Subject: From Ground Zero

OK...my wife and i are about to take the adventure of a lifetime, but we have not even bought a coach yet. We just sold our home care business after 10 years of running a business that requires 24-7 availability and a lot of stress. We have decided to take a year (or two) and travel with our 4 kids (all girls....9, 6, 3, and soon to be born). We think we may be crazy..but we are also super excited and admire all the people doing it with kids. But there is no doubt we are both a bit nervous. Us with 3 kids and an infant in an RV? Are we nuts? Our goal is to take off around July 1. The baby will be born the beginning or middle of may.

We are starting from ground zero and trying to learn as much as we can so we make the right decision.

Step #1. FInd a coach or custom build one.
- The only CLASS A that remotely comes close to what we need is the new Thor outlaw. It has the loft. The garage we could convert into an office space (because i will still need to work from the road and be online). However, we are concerned that there may not be enough space and because its a newer model, i heard there are A LOT of issues with it and things that need to be fixed (even new ones)
- A 5th wheel was definitely an options, especially since there tends to be more space or separate rooms. However, the downside is that my wife will be breast feeding and we don't want to stop every 2 hours for that. Also....the thought of the 6 of us being cramped in a pick up with my hyper active children scares me to death..especially since we will be moving around a lot.
- We thought about buying an older used bus and customizing it...but by the time we dump money into that...if we sell in a year or two that we may be lucky to get only 50% back of what we put into it. (I will not be doing the work as i am not handy!). Plus we plan to leave by July 1.

Ultimately we need something where our infant can nap every few hours in her bassinet at first and then maybe a pack N Play when she gets older. Where my 3 year old can take her 1 afternoon nap....while i can work for several hours during the day (i need some office space where i can also talk on the phone if needed)

Any suggestions from more experienced family travelers? Especially ones that have a BIG family like us and possibly also work from the RV?

Side note: I was hoping to buy something used because if we do keep it for only 1 year...the biggest year of depreciation is year 1 and i want to do this, and i know an RV is a depreciating asset, but there is somewhat of a limit of how much we are willing to invest in this adventure. (although when its all said and done, i probably cant put a price tag on it :-)

Sorry for the long first post..any info appreciated.

Edited by MazzaFamily 2016-03-16 8:46 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software