You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: H. Jackson Brown Jr. "People take different roads to seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they are not on your road does not mean they have gotten lost."

Claiming residency, voting, driver's license
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> S'More FunMessage format

dkpep
Posted 2012-08-23 3:00 PM (#7610)
Subject: Claiming residency, voting, driver's license

About a week ago, We started fulltiming with our 6 children ages 11 down to 1 1/2. We hope to get a blog and profile up soon. We have been IL residents for 10 years. Not sure that is where we want to claim residency. Can we choose a different state? We are due to renew our driver's license in a month and not sure how that works without a street address. We just have a p.o. Box. Also, can we register to vote without a street address?
So much to learn here! I'm thankful for this site. Sorry if there was already a thread on this. I was not able to find one
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Seangie
Posted 2012-08-25 10:53 AM (#7614 - in reply to #7610)
Subject: RE: Claiming residency, voting, driver's license

dkpep -

Do some searching over at escapees.com Lots of information over there. To keep it short you sign up for a mailing service that gives you a "physical" mailing address. They also forward your mail as needed while you are on the road.

Many services out there. You can claim residency in another state and the mailing service address will allow you to register to vote in that state. You just have to be there physically or mail in an absentee ballot.

When choosing another state make sure you are not evading taxes (state or otherwise) by doing so. An example would be if you have a job that allows you to work from home and pays you from a payroll company in the state of Illinois and you move your residency to FL but still spend a good deal of time in Illinois and possibly have property, family ect... the state "could" say that you are avoiding pay of state taxes by claiming FL residency as you have no property, relatives, ect in Floritda. (intent is what they are looking for here)

Just one example and not common but just be aware of that.

Good Luck and wish you the best!

-Sean

dkpep
Posted 2012-08-30 4:58 AM (#7627 - in reply to #7610)
Subject: Re: Claiming residency, voting, driver's license

Thank you so much Sean
Seangie
Posted 2012-08-30 7:16 AM (#7628 - in reply to #7627)

No Problem!

WE are cheering for you. Hope your adventure is amazing!
mom23onthego
Posted 2012-09-11 7:54 AM (#7633 - in reply to #7628)

I have some worries about residency also. We have a residence in Minnesota that we are currently renting. We mostly have traveled within Minnesota to work. My husband transferred to Williston ND to finish out the road construction season and will be laid off around Thanksgiving. From there we, for the first time, spend the winter in Oklahoma where it is warm enough for us to stay in our RV. We have several concerns regarding residency. Taxes is one but since I am a tax preparer I will figure those out. Unemployment is another as that is part of what we live on in the winter. Last year we spent the winter months living with my Mother and Father-in-law in Minnesota in our home town. I have kept their address for a street address when one is needed and then keep a PO Box for mail. Do you think this is sufficient to keep our residency in Minnesota??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software