You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.

Any Real Foodies OTR?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Home on Wheels -> Making the RV HomeMessage format

bunchofyoders
Posted 2012-07-05 12:23 PM (#7520)
Subject: Any Real Foodies OTR?

Just wondering if there are any "real foodies" out there OTR, and how you do it. For example, I like to keep sourdough going (I make pancakes with it, as well as crackers, cakes, "impossible pies" and soaking grains), and make water kefir. It's hard enough at home to keep up with maintaining cultures and I'm wondering how in the world I could make it work otr. Also, I am so used to buying 50# bags of wheat and oats and rice...how do you store bulk items (if you even take them, that's a lot of weight it seems)? Do you have a grain mill, if so what kind? I'm thinking of one of the manual grain mills (such as the Family Grain Mill, I think that's what it's called) would be best as I don't have a large family and can grind what I need without using any power. I also don't like to store things in plastic, but it seems like glass wouldn't be the best option for traveling. Perhaps stainless steel?

I make all of my own mixes for seasonings and such and would want to bring bulk spices along so I'm trying to figure out creative storage solutions. We're hoping to get a Class A and completely renovate the inside (on a ridiculously small budget, so the "creative" part is particularly important lol) so we should be able to make the kitchen like I want it. Just curious on how other RF's are making it work in their rigs and on the road. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
raw
Posted 2012-07-27 10:00 AM (#7584 - in reply to #7520)
Subject: Re: Any Real Foodies OTR?

How about building a large custom pantry under the couch/sofa? Especially on models that have openings to the belly bins/under neath storage? You would have access from the kitchen and have more than enough space to store 50 pound bags.
I do caution you about dampness and heat, I specifically choose air conditioned belly bins to be safe!
Definitely a fan of tupperware, glass and stainless steel storage containers, nothing gets into my home on wheels in a bag. Nothing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software