You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: so sad ,so fresh the days that are no more

Oh No! Second Thoughts
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Home on Wheels -> Making the RV HomeMessage format

Amandadj
Posted 2012-06-12 8:41 AM (#7484)
Subject: Oh No! Second Thoughts

Hi everyone,

My name is Amanda. This is my first post. My husband and I just bought a 5th wheel trailer with a bunk house for us and our 4 children. I have 2 boys (9 and 7 years old) and twin girls (9 months) We traded in our explorer for a F350 truck that I'm scared to drive (lol) and got a spot in a local campground until November when we plan on going down south for 6 months. My husband is a truck driver so he can transfer accounts every 6 months anywhere they are available in the US.

Now my husband read an article saying that campers require too much maintanance to live in. He is afraid this is going to be too hard for our family.

I am still on board, dreaming the dream of traveling to different places,homeschooling the boys, living close together, coming together as a family...

Any words of encouragment from those of you who have been doing this for a while??? Or does anyone have a dose of reality they can spare for me????

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Still dreaming!
Amanda
http://?ourmagiccarpethaswheels.blogspo?t.com/
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nightraven930
Posted 2012-06-12 1:02 PM (#7485 - in reply to #7484)
Subject: Re: Oh No! Second Thoughts

Well we have been on the road for a few years with a bumper pull so I can share our experience. We bought a 97 and out lasted us a few years. Ours had a bad roof we didn't know about and acquired some irreplaceable water damage. Trailers are not made sturdy enough for fulltiming but of you take care of it and take care of any major problems asap, you should be able to get many years out of it. Plus with you staying in one location for a while that will help cut down on the wear and tear of being actually on the road.
Amandadj
Posted 2012-06-12 2:06 PM (#7486 - in reply to #7484)

Thanks for replying! Do you have children on the road with you? Would you say the good outways the bad?

That's what my husband had heard, that they were not built well enough for full time living. But we got the trailer from an RV dealer, it's been fully inspected and we will be doing regular maintanace and only moving it twice a year. I think we'll be OK! I know it's going to be more work than having an actual house I just thnk it's well worth the effort!

Amanda
http://ourmagiccarpethaswheels.blogspot.com/
nightraven930
Posted 2012-06-12 5:17 PM (#7487 - in reply to #7484)

We have three kids, 11, 7, &5. The good definitely outweighs the bad. You will be fine
Things like cabinets and doors usually aren't the sturdiest quality but you can just replace them down the road.
upkeep on a trailer is nothing like upkeep on a house good luck maybe our paths will cross one day. Were from Florida and go down there in the winter.
Amandadj
Posted 2012-06-13 6:35 AM (#7488 - in reply to #7487)

Thanks! I started reading your blog, Very interesting! I hope some day we have stories like yours (minus the breaking down ones lol) But even the ones where you struggled I'm sure those are memories worth keeping too!!!!
featherstory
Posted 2012-06-13 9:59 PM (#7492 - in reply to #7484)

Personally I don't think its more maintenance than a house, just different. You get used to it easily if you stay in place for awhile. The main issues I had were with rain and leaking.
Collierx6
Posted 2012-07-06 4:16 PM (#7523 - in reply to #7484)

There are challenges and obstacles, but all in all, if your mid set is such that you WILL make it work, it WILL work. If every little bump in the road throws you in a rage that "SEE, I TOLD YOU THIS WAS TROUBLE" then it is easy to give up.
Winters are harder to keep warm in the Northern areas, and heat is hard to take, but if you know how to counter it, (IE electric blankets, socks and sweat shirts in the winter, and going to the library, mall, or pool to keep cool in the summer) it IS a different lifestyle, but LOTS of memories and things to see and do!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software