You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: And that's the wonderful thing about family travel: it provides you with experiences that will remain locked forever in the scar tissue of your mind. Dave Barry

No Longer on the Road
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> S'More FunMessage format

pnk
Posted 2012-03-12 12:34 AM (#7381)
Subject: No Longer on the Road

Grizzle alert. Below are my feelings about life off the road. Don't read if you are unsympathetic!

It's been a while since I was last on here because our life on the road only lasted eight months and now we are back to immobile living. We returned to our home country in July 2011, which means we have been back longer than we were on the road (sigh), DH now has a job and I am home looking after the kids. Our new (rented) home is small, which I like after I got so used to living in limited space on the road. Things are really not so bad and I feel like I should be OK, like I should be happy enough living like most people do. But I'm not. In fact I am downright miserable. I think I was ruined for the ordinary after being a full-timer. I just can't seem to stop thinking about it. I can't get used to life here. I so want to get back on the road, this time permanently, but it is soooooo not possible. We used up every cent and then some on our trip and are now on a low salary so it will probably never happen again. Makes me want to cry. We are trying really hard to find ways to earn money to live for now and then to find jobs to earn enough on the road. But it is not easy, especially when we can't take US jobs. We HAVE to find a way.

Anyway, enough whinging. Suffice to say, I LOVED LIVING ON THE ROAD FULL-TIME AND I REALLY MISS IT! I hope you all are still loving and cherishing every minute of it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
5onWheels
Posted 2012-03-12 7:12 AM (#7382 - in reply to #7381)
Subject: Re: No Longer on the Road

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you had to settle down, against your will. But don't see everything negative, if you want to get back on the road you will find a way.
I know INS is not the easiest to work with (lots of paperwork and time), but give it a shot.
So do not give up, enjoy live.
Good Luck
joyfull
Posted 2012-03-20 5:32 PM (#7395 - in reply to #7382)

You are not alone in finding it difficult to adjust to "life after the road". We were on the road for 18 months and then spent 9 in a house we were care-taking while DH worked temporary jobs & started his business. It was so hard to be in one location, but have my heart elsewhere. I really felt torn & was slightly depressed. I didn't feel better until we started planning our next trip.

We've been back on the road for 10 months and it looks like we may be settling down again for a while...we'll find out for sure tomorrow. Although, it looks like we will be settling with a dream job & in a dream location, I am still having a hard time with just the thought of staying in one place for longer than a couple weeks. There are still so many places we want to see. It's really hard to be in one place geographically and feel temporary. I know from my experience the last time, that I will have to fully emerse myself into our location, put down some roots no matter how short my stay may be. Otherwise, I will feel like I am just waiting for the bus, so to speak. The kids too need to feel like we are involved and actually living in the community we settle in, so we'll join a church, make friends, take classes, volunteer in the community, etc.

I was expressing my frustrations about leaving the nomadic life for a traditional one to a good friend who said "what's your hurry, it's not like you're going to run out of time, you don't have to do it all this year". And she's right. Assuming the world does not end in 2012, I have my whole life to travel. Being a nomad is not just an action, it is a state of being. So, if we do settle down for an undetermined length of time, I will do my best to embrace the life I am living and plan for the one I want, just like when we are traveling full time. I will take all the things I have learned on the road and apply them to making the best of my next adventure - even if it is only in my back yard!

If all goes as planned, DH will be taking a J.O.B. and I will continue to run our business. I think we will put all the business profits into our "travel fund" and just live on his salary. Even if it's just $20 a month, setting that money aside will help me feel like I am working towards my dream. Perhaps you can look into starting a business that is sustainable from the road. That way you are doing something constructive to work towards your dream and to ensure you will not have to stop before you are ready next. Best wishes!
Collierx6
Posted 2012-03-20 8:19 PM (#7396 - in reply to #7381)

I am with you! We too, had to take a "J.O.B." and stuck inside the city of Indiana. (I work graves, he works swing). Feeling a bit gripy too, as I think that last year we were hanging out in San Diego, enjoying LIFE! WE did shows on the road the whole year, but I am here to tell you that the rising costs of everything, (Like GAS to get anywhere!) makes it pretty hard to turn a profit and keep afloat in any sence. I just checked the stock we have in the back of the RV and the moisture has gotten to some of it, which means some of the stock is ruined.
I know we will get back on the road. I have no intentions of settling down in the city here!!! Brainstorming for ideas too. Glad that you came and voiced your displeasure. That is why we are here! To share, support, and throw ideas around.
Hang in there. This too shall pass!!!!!
featherstory
Posted 2012-04-24 1:06 AM (#7415 - in reply to #7381)

I can relate...I only spent about 6 months on the road and didn't even have an RV then, I spent the time camping. We settled for a year and a half and then got an RV and never got on the road. Now my relationship ended and our trailer is with him so I'm looking for a new RV now. I don't make a lot of money right now, but I'm putting everything into starting my business and making it profitable enough to sustain me...also looking for ways to make full-timing easier...veggie fuel, work/trade and free parking, etc. I would seriously just immerse yourself in finding out how to make nomadic living more secure for you...there are many, many options out there, they're just difficult to find sometimes, but you can find a way to make it work. Try not to rush it and make sure you really have the basics(like being able to afford it) straightened out before you leave! Good luck.
pnk
Posted 2012-05-20 2:48 AM (#7432 - in reply to #7381)
Subject: RE: No Longer on the Road

Thanks you guys for your encouragement. It is good to know I am not the only one struggling with keeping still! Although I don't wish it on anyone. I think the wanderlust has well and truly got hold of me. I have had some good times and then I get down for a few days. Then I just pick up and carry on. We are currently researching internet businesses that we can start up in order to fund the future, hopefully enough to enable my DH to stop working for someone else and then for us to get back on the road. It is difficult though, to come up with an idea that has not been done to death already, or to monetize a blog etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software