You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.” (Matsuo Basho)

The "S" word - keeping it family friendly of course
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Home on Wheels -> Making the RV HomeMessage format

zoemorn
Posted 2012-01-18 6:59 AM (#7273)
Subject: The "S" word - keeping it family friendly of course

My family is in Wannabego Status, i.e. would like to try the Full Time RVing with our family if we had the necessary elements to support it. As such, all kinds of questions pop into mind as we dream about it.

Well one question came to mind while thinking of life in a small 'cozy' space. For many it will be an awkward one to address, and if you'd rather PM me with your tip or advice, that's fine.

So here it is: With such a confined area, particularly if you are roading with kids, I have to think it might be 'challenging' to have 'alone time' with your spouse.
And just in case there is confusion about what i'm implying, i'm inferring sex. I apologize if anyone's eyeballs instantly burst into flames.

obviously we can keep the discussion family friendly, but at the same time I assume everyone at the site is likely an adult. Intimate time with your spouse is an important part of most unions, so i'm just wondering, as it is hard enough to accomplish that in a typical brick and mortar home (certainly as the kids turn into young adult teens) how in the world do you accomplish privacy in an RV.

and yes I expect someone to reply "when the RV is a-rocking...."
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Collierx6
Posted 2012-01-18 11:17 AM (#7275 - in reply to #7273)
Subject: Re: The "S" word - keeping it family friendly of course

With a 4 year old AND (now) A CAT that likes to come up and cuddle on the top bunk of the "C", it is a near impossibility, however, the things we see and share together while on the road can easily "make up the difference" for what you are giving up. There are times that we crawl into bed, so exhausted from the days adventure, we have to remind OURSELVES to crawl back down and go brush our teeth! Makeing the most of that time, IE holding hands while on a walk, hugs, etc still show your love for one another.
Lastly, since you are still in the planning stages, There are things that one "looks For" in an RV. Since this is a concern you have, and brave enough to ask on a public forum, I suggest that you seek out something with 2 bedrooms. Or at least a REAL DOOR to the bedroom you will call as yours.
zoemorn
Posted 2012-01-18 2:44 PM (#7277 - in reply to #7273)

Thanks Collierx6. Yes we have been trying to plan for that in looking for exactly what you said, actual DOORS. I'd think for fulltiming, actual doors would be nice regardless of intimacy.
Thanks for the response. I realize this and many of these kinda questions are simply "well think through it and you can prolly figure it out on your own" but its nice to ask in case there is an element missed that an experienced RV'er can shed light on.
nightraven930
Posted 2012-01-18 3:14 PM (#7278 - in reply to #7277)

The best advice I can think of is invest in really good stabilizing jacks!!
saltydog
Posted 2012-01-18 5:51 PM (#7279 - in reply to #7273)

Ninja-style!
zoemorn
Posted 2012-01-19 6:34 AM (#7281 - in reply to #7273)

ha, Ninja-Style! Well ya if you have kids with you, then choosing a Class C is probably not a good idea, certainly not for spontaneity; and the child may start wondering why you are so anxious to send them to a movie several times a month.
There are some RV's class A, 5ers and TT's that have 'ok' doors, gotta look close though because many of em' that we have seen personally the door has a big gap at the bottom of the door. Not sure if that is for air flow, water flow in case of flooding or what, but its much more of a gap than you see on a typical brick n mortar house door. Additionally we've taken the extra step to start looking for floorplans that dont have the main bathroom being part of the master bedroom, including shower, not only for THIS reason but just for other privacy reasons. Some floorplans are utilizing 1.5 baths which can be a nice thing for the privacy issue.
rain4river
Posted 2012-01-28 7:35 AM (#7296 - in reply to #7273)

I'm throwing in my two cents here.....
Don't ever feel you"ll have to give up sex. Yes, sometimes it is a challenge, but where there's a will, there's a way! The term "quickie" will most likely become part of your RV vocabulary.....right alongside "boondock" and "roadschool". Hmmmm.....sounds like a book title. More often than not, you'll be camping in wooded areas....nature's bedroom. I know my kids don't want to come with us when we set off in search of some firewood! (Just be sure you can identify poison plant species). There are plenty of ways to be spontaneous, you just have to be creative and willing. Take this advice for what it's worth from me.......a very happily married on the road mom, and former adult novelties distributor.
rain4river.wordpress.com
5onWheels
Posted 2012-01-28 3:52 PM (#7299 - in reply to #7296)

Not much advise just some short lines:

--- When the RV is rocking, don't come knocking ----

--- If there is a will, there is a way ---

Enjoy
margielundy
Posted 2012-01-28 9:39 PM (#7301 - in reply to #7273)

The kids are used to rocking in wind storms, so occasionally I'll let them know I heard there may be a windstorm coming that night.
Collierx6
Posted 2012-01-31 6:29 PM (#7310 - in reply to #7273)

LOL. Margie. That will work until one day when your kids go talk to the other campground kids and the conversation is "Wow, that was some wind storm we were in last night, huh!?!?" and the other kids just give a blank stare.............. :-)
FreEwings
Posted 2012-02-15 10:38 PM (#7341 - in reply to #7273)
Subject: RE: The "S" word - keeping it family friendly of course

I ditto "Ninja-Style"...in other words, very stealthy & silent! We've only been on the road about 5 months now & that seems to be our approach.
Funny.... A few nights ago our 9 y/o son asked about the motorhome shaking the night before & I said something like "oh dad was doing his exercises" If we think back a hundred years and more, many families shared one room or sometimes ONE BED... cramped space didn't stop them!
Xoxox
zoemorn
Posted 2012-02-16 6:47 AM (#7342 - in reply to #7273)

Thanks for the responses everybody. As we've considered the RV full time lifestyle, it helps to get insight from those already living that lifestyle. .. hmm 'exercises'... well we were also concerned with how to stay in shape since a gym membership would kinda be outta the question (i suppose short term ones might work if near civilization, more expensive than long term rates).. ha
taetae
Posted 2012-05-28 2:15 PM (#7466 - in reply to #7273)

off topic, though mentioned... ymca memberships, im pretty sure, work for all ymca's and ywca's.
taetae
Posted 2012-05-28 2:16 PM (#7467 - in reply to #7273)

also, learn quietness. set them up with a movie and tell them its your turn to play with daddy by yourself. then lock the door
featherstory
Posted 2012-06-13 10:14 PM (#7493 - in reply to #7273)

When we had a Class C we'd put our oldest on the top with toys and a movie... our youngest we'd usually do it when she was sleeping on the floor, or we'd put her down with toys and say we were going to take a nap. Our oldest would wear headphones or have music on the computer pretty loud if she was coloring or playing with her toys. We saved certain activities for this time. Painting was a good one. Who cares about the mess, clean it later. Then we'd get under the blankets on the sofa/bed and pretend to be taking a nap.

When we had our trailer there was a lot more space and a bedroom, but not a full door, there was a curtain closing off the room. We'd put the kids in the living room and close the curtains and say we were napping again. In tents everyone gets their own sleeping bags and there's plenty of space and we'd do that at night time after I put our daughter to bed, usually.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software