You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential. Sir Winston Churchill

It's A Concern Of Mine... Money.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Working on the Road -> What do you do?Message format

Mbrwr
Posted 2011-11-01 10:25 AM (#7089)
Subject: It's A Concern Of Mine... Money.

Sadly we have to make money to live therefore we spend time thinking of ways to make more money... and I'd rather do other things, but I understand and accept it.

Anyway, as I mentioned in my introduction thread, we sold our business in May. We have a little income from a Tenant and hope to pick up a little more... but it likely won't be quite enough to pay for a year on the road...

So, along the way we'll need to make some money. My wife is an RN and is considering being a Travelling Nurse but she worries about committing to 3 or 4 months in one location... it kinda defeats the purpose (but it would make the next 8 or 9 months a lot easier)...

I have no college degree and hardly any computer skills beyond blogging.

I'm curious... are there places along the road where people can show up and work for a week for a few hundred bucks before moving on?

I'm also open to suggestions from others who need to make money on the road (who don't write code, run a web site business, or the like)... and what might one realistically expect to make along the way?

Thanks!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nightraven930
Posted 2011-11-01 12:19 PM (#7090 - in reply to #7089)
Subject: Re: It's A Concern Of Mine... Money.

I will talk from our own experiences. When we first thought of getting on the road, I envisioned moving every other week, seeing the country, and having little to no bills. The reality was a little (ok alot) off. I never thought that staying in one place for longer than 3 weeks was going to work. Our first workamping job was a 2 month commitment and once that was up I was ready to live the dream. After 1 year on the road, my view shifted. I no longer wanted the quick trip across the country, for us, this was a lifestyle change and we had our whole likes to really see what we wanted to and not just blow through them. My husband is an electrician which allows him to take short term contracts, anywhere from 4 weeks to 4 months, where ever we decided we want to be. When there is no work, we have taken short term contracts from staffing agencies. Some like Ablebody and Staff ready pay the same day, and you don't need any experience. We have taken 4 month commitments, the longest we stayed anywhere was 6 months, but it was wonderful. We all made great friends, and being on the road, having friends that you can actually sit and visit with is really nice. We just got done with the beet harvest in Montana which was 2 weeks long hours and good pay, there are also other harvesting jobs at different times of the year. I've also taken waitressing jobs to help supplement. I envy your wife being able to be a traveling RN, being able to see the country with a definite source of income and the flexibility to work as little or as much as you like. Hope this offers some insight. Jobs are fairly easy to come by just don't give up
margielundy
Posted 2011-11-01 10:30 PM (#7091 - in reply to #7089)

We've met some traveling nurses and that would be nice to have a certain income and know you can move on after a certain time. If you only want to go for a year, you might be better able to enjoy it if you save up and then don't have to worry on the road. But if you plan longer, then of course you'll want to pick things up along the way.
HMS
Posted 2012-05-05 4:18 PM (#7422 - in reply to #7089)

How about this opportunity:

Here are a few highlights regarding the position:

-use your own RV to pull an enclosed, 20ft trailer, to any any state throughout the country.

-over 5,000 loads to choose from

-use our authority/insurance to travel through each state.

-contents of the trailer include used household goods, no flamables etc..

-pay would depend on how far out you would be willing to travel.

*If you are towing anything behind your RV currently, the class "A" test will be a breeze.
**As mentioned earlier, we have just secured over 5,000 trips with these trailers and need to find as many RV ers as possible.

Best,
Brian
raw
Posted 2012-05-22 1:16 PM (#7441 - in reply to #7089)

I have learned a lot of techniques that are for those without degrees (or with . Free or under ten dollars to get started and I can share more - just unsure of what is allowed here - maybe the mods can let us know what is safe to share?
RVTech_Darren
Posted 2013-10-13 12:58 AM (#7766 - in reply to #7089)

My exit strategy from the career world, as a senior level engineer, was to become an RV Technician. Like you I still needed to provide for my family and plan for the future. There is no reason that ‘earning a living’ should be any harder in an RV than in a sticks n’ bricks home. Actually I see many more opportunities living in an RV than being stuck in a house. We have been full-time since 2004, had our first child in 2008 and our second in 2010. They are road schooled and have only known the RV as home. Never had any issues and I feel as a family we are closer due to the 300 square feet we all share. The house I grew up in had my bedroom up the stairs, down the hall and around the corner. We only ever saw each other at dinner for a short time. Not so in this house!

For an idea on income that totally fits with the RV lifestyle consider becoming an RV Tech and starting out at a dealership. A typical RV Tech at typical RV Dealership should expect to earn from $40K to $60K – the spread based on ability, tools and experience. Become a Certified Tech and expect to earn between $10K to $20K more depending on location and volume of work completed. Once you have worked the dealerships for a while and feel confident on your own than start your own mobile RV repair service. Most of those guys I talk to earn easily between $60K and $80K. The more ambitious ones I know earn as much as $120K but they are super busy! Add to that RV Inspections for banks, credit unions, extended warranty companies and individuals and earn on average $650/inspection. From there you can offer your services as a contractor to a dealership for help at trade shows and walking new customers through on their new RV.

At the dealership I am currently working at we are living on site rent/utility free. I walk to work and walk home to have lunch with my family every day unless mom takes them on a field-trip to a surrounding zoo or museum. This past summer we got season passes to the water park and for the winter we are joining the indoor climbing gym. We are set-up inside the gate so after hours we have the gated lot to ourselves where we play games and learn to ride bikes etc. I do not have to worry about anyone speeding through the camp ground or taking my kids. When I have talked to other dealerships, for various reasons, I always inquire about their need for a certified tech and every single one has offered me a job. Living on site rent/utility free with my family has never been an issue except for one place that simply did not have the facilities because they were located within the city – not where I would want to be anyway… You may want to perform a simple acid test and call some dealerships in a location you are interested in and ask about opportunities there. Also ask about the possibility to live in your RV on-site with your family. Keep calling around until you find one that will take you (and your family) on-board. If you need info on how to get started and how to get certified get a message to me and I will provide a path to get you there.

It is honest work and my kids are learning from their dad how to balance work and family values. Mom is able to focus on being a mommy-on-demand and work with the kids on lesson plans. After hours and on weekends when the shop is closed we head down there and build wood projects and fix simple things. (as of this writing my kids are 3 & 5 so no major welding projects yet…) This give mom a break and I get to work with the kids for a while. Every one wins!

Some of the benefits to being a tech have been the customers I interface with. One customer is very well off and owned the contracting company that built an arena in the town we are currently in. He found out we like hockey and he is more of a football guy so he offered us the use of his suite for free all season long! Now THAT is the way to watch hockey! He even stocked his frig in the suite with apple juice for the kids and we have our own popcorn machine in the suite! Another benefit and income stream, to the things you learn as an RV tech is how battery systems and solar systems work. Recently a guy hired me to help him install solar panels on an off-grid cabin. He didn't know how to do the math to calculate the size of his batteries, inverter etc. In one weekend, because I had marketed myself and had to learn that stuff as an RV tech, I made $1,700! Sure I had to climb on the roof and build the frame and pull the panels up and connect all the wires but I have never been afraid of honest work for honest pay. So the things you learn as an RV tech will provide you with all you need to maintain your lifestyle and keep your family financially independent.

So just my two cents to add to his thread. Hope you find it inspiring. If you have any more questions please reach out to me. I voluntarily resigned from a 6 figure income to be a daddy-on-demand and have my kids know their daddy. Something I never had when I was growing up… This RV Tech gig is the best thing I know of that can provide travel, income and opportunity to start our own family business and help other RVers realize their family dreams too.

Cheers,
Darren Koepp / RV Tech / Daddy-on-Demand
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software