You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: if wishs were horses then all dreamers would ride

Boise, Idaho and many surrounding places.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Events & Destinations -> West Coast - USAMessage format

NeedABreak
Posted 2011-05-22 5:50 PM (#6643)
Subject: Boise, Idaho and many surrounding places.

I'm just feeling like honking the Horn for Boise. So if none of you have ever looked into it as a travel destination, think again.

I lived here as a kid in Elementary and Junior High ... but then moved back to Canada, and out East as well. In all the places I have seen .... Banff, AB ... British Columbia .... Yellowstone ... Great Lakes ... Niagra Falls ... etc, etc, etc .... Boise is still on my top list for cool destinations. They just re-opened the camp ground run by the county, and right on the fairgrounds and river ... which gives you bike access to miles of Greenbelt .... in fact, if you can bike for three hours, you can ride your bike right up into the mountains and the major damm here ... which has the most amazing swimming resevoir and lake! All within biking range!

And you can even winter HERE and go skiiing!!!! Boise is down in the valley ... with a beautiful river and developed parks all along it. Boise is concidered desert ... but because of their pride in irregation is also known as the City of Trees. Nestled right at the base of the foothills of the Rockies .... you are a mere 30 minute drive to the nearest ski resort ... which makes most of the locals ski-bumms .... LOL ...

Those that live here LOVE Boise, and few have the "can't wait to get outa here" attitude ... this makes it so much fun to interact with the locals.

A mere 3 hour drive through the gorgeous Rockies gets you to the Sawtooth mountains ... which in my opinion you haven't lived until you've seen their beauty. Watch the Sherriff in town ... as soon as you round the bend into Stanley, ID ... you happen to glaze upon one of God's amazing creations ... the Sawtooth Range ... unfortunately, this means you miss the "SLOW DOWN" signs and "SPEED REDUCED TO 25mph" ... lol ...

Yes ... we got pulled over ... LOL ...

Idaho is a gorgeous state, and no matter which direction you travel in from Boise ... you can find a day full of fun. Twin Falls is known for the best Canyon next to the Grand Canyon ... and that crazy dirt bike guy tried to cross it with his bike ... what was his name? ... LOL ...

Anyway ... We've been here for the winter of 2010/2011 ... and now it is almost June and VERY HARD to leave .... of course, my Mom and Gramma and amazing cousins live here ... so that makes it even better.

My husband however, is born and raised in Michigan .... doesn't have anybody out here accept my family .... and he says that Boise has really grown on him.

OHHHHH ... and did I mention the AMAZING restaurants and nightlife!!??!!!! I've NEVER been to a city with better restaurants!

Hot Srpings anyone?!! ... they are ALL OVER!!!

You haven't seen it all until you add Boise to your list ... Love ya All!!

M.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Collierx6
Posted 2011-05-23 5:24 PM (#6645 - in reply to #6643)
Subject: Re: Boise, Idaho and many surrounding places.

Boise is a town that has been on my list for a LONG time, but for another reason. HISTORY... I have been doing geneology research on a particular family for a good 11 years, on and off.
(the readers digest format follows) The father, who immigrated from Germany ~with nothing~, ended up as a general store merchant/co-owner for a while in Boise. He was quite successful and as I am told, his building still stands today.

Fast forward a bit of time, and he (with his son, as manager) brought in a much needed hotel to Tombstone, complete with Steinway piano and it was the hotel in which Earp moved into after the FAMOUS gunfight. After the fire desemated their hotel in AZ. they left and were instrumental in building up the pretty well unknown town of Los Angeles with a vision that it would be big someday and a VERY ritzy hote, that they spent several million dollars in constructing. (His daughter later ended up marryng the owner of the GRANT hotel in San Diego). He died in CA. in 1898, (A millionaire) and his son (which is the brunt of my research) died in the torpedo attack on the Lusitania after taking a much needed "holiday" after undergoing gall bladder surgery. (Worth some 18 Million in 1918 dollars!)

Now you've sweetened the deal with hot springs, good food, and night life. That's unfair!!! Tell mom and Gramma, their family has just increased by 5 and we'll be there in a week :)

Edited by Collierx6 2011-05-23 5:28 PM
joyfull
Posted 2011-06-05 9:58 AM (#6701 - in reply to #6645)

hmmm, and to think we were just going to pass through with a Walmart stop over! Now I have to add a "must see" to my already full list!
alden65
Posted 2012-11-28 7:34 AM (#7655 - in reply to #6643)

I was travel from SLC to Boise on Wed & am thinking where I can find excellent hiking w/o going too far out of our way. I know the place around the Payettes quite well but didn't want to go that far.
alden65
Posted 2012-11-29 10:32 AM (#7656 - in reply to #7655)

alden65 - 2012-11-28 7:34 AM

I was travel from SLC to Boise on Wed & am thinking where I can find excellent hiking w/o going too far out of our way. I know the place around the Payettes quite well but didn't want to go that far.[/QUOTE]
gold coast pet friendly accommodation

Edited by alden65 2012-11-29 10:32 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software